Aliterate is currently closed for submissions. We expect to reopen Spring 2017. Please sign up for our call for submissions mailing list if you'd like to be notified.
- Read all the guidelines. This isn't a trick or a joke. A lot of people don't read the guidelines.
- All submissions should be previously unpublished and between 2,500 and 8,000 words. We're more likely to print shorter pieces.
- Most of our submissions are bleak. Please send us less depressing pieces.
- We publish literary genre fiction. This includes, but is not limited to: science fiction, fantasy, westerns, pulps, thrillers, horror and romance. We have a sci-fi/fantasy lean. When in doubt, just submit it.
- Read stories that we've previously published. A portion of our magazine is made available for free online.
- We do not publish poetry, erotica, inspirational fiction, polemics, non-fiction, gore, fanfic or young adult fiction.
- At this time we are not interested in unsolicited artwork.
- No multiple submissions, one per reading period except by invitation.
- No simultaneous submissions.
- Do not submit work that we have previously rejected.
- Cover letters are unnecessary and won't be read.
- Review is blind. Do not include your name with your submission. Works with identifying information will be returned unread.
- Please don't send us your trunk stories.
- Submission is open to all writers, apart from residents of Crimea, Cuba, Eritrea, Iran, North Korea, Sudan, and Syria. We have no way of paying people living in these places.
- Got questions? E-mail the editors at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- We acquire world English serial, electronic, and ebook rights under the terms of the SFWA model contract.
- Our pay rate is $0.06 / word.
How to Submit
- We are currently closed and will reopen in 2017.
- Submissions are only accepted by e-mail and should be sent as .docx attachments to email@example.com.
- You'll receive an e-mail confirming your submission or notifying you of errors. Check your spam folder. If you don't receive an automated acknowledgement within 24 hours, we didn't get your submission. E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org if this happens.
- Sometimes our bot goes haywire. Query if you haven't heard from us after 21 days following the acknowledgement message.
What's your response time?
Our median response time is 7 days. Please query after 21 days. Please log your submission at The Grinder and/or Duotrope. This helps other writers.
How do you pay people?
We prefer to send you a check.
Why don't you use Submittable?
It doesn't provide the features that we need.
Why do you do blind review?
We're trying to reduce bias. Each submission is assigned to at least two readers. If either reader approves a story, it gets sent to the whole team.
Can I submit my story by mail?
No. Our readers live in at least six different states.
Why don't you publish erotica?
Please, stop sending us erotica. We're just about ready to start the Journal of Unsolicited Erotica.
Do you offer personalized rejections?
No. Our feedback wouldn't be useful to you. Other editors are looking for different things.
Can I read for you?
E-mail us at email@example.com. Tell us why you want to read!