Aliterate is closed for submissions. We'll reopen in 2018. Please sign up for our call for submissions mailing list if you'd like to be notified.
- Read all the guidelines. This isn't a trick or a joke. A lot of people don't read the guidelines.
- All submissions should be previously unpublished in English and between 2,500 and 8,000 words. We're more likely to print shorter pieces. Translations are welcome.
- We publish literary genre fiction. This includes, but is not limited to: science fiction, fantasy, westerns, pulps, thrillers, horror and romance. We have a sci-fi/fantasy lean. When in doubt, just submit it.
- Most of our submissions are bleak. Happy pieces are more apt to stand out.
- Read stories that we've previously published. A portion of our magazine is available for free online.
- We prefer writing with narrative.
- We do not publish poetry, erotica, inspirational fiction, polemics, non-fiction, gore, fanfic or young adult fiction.
- Please no first chapters, novel excerpts or trunk stories.
- At this time we are not interested in unsolicited artwork.
- No multiple submissions, one per reading period except by invitation.
- No simultaneous submissions.
- Do not submit work that we have previously rejected.
- Cover letters are discarded unread.
- Review is blind. Do not include your name with your submission. Works with identifying information will be returned unread.
- Submission is open to all writers, apart from residents of Crimea, Cuba, Eritrea, Iran, North Korea, Sudan, and Syria. We have no way of paying people living in these places.
- Got questions? E-mail the editors at email@example.com.
- We acquire world English serial, electronic, and ebook rights.
- Our pay rate is $0.06 / word, rounded up to the nearest $5.
How to Submit
- Submissions are only accepted by e-mail and should be sent as .docx attachments. Please use the title of your story as the subject of the email. It saves us time.
- You'll receive an e-mail from Slushbot confirming your submission or notifying you of errors. Check your spam folder. If you don't receive an automated acknowledgement within 24 hours, we didn't get your submission. E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org if this happens.
- Due to changes in our reading procedure we're moving more slowly than last time through. Query if you haven't heard from us after 28 days following the acknowledgement message.
I only have a .doc file, what do I do?
Our bot only knows how to handle .docx files. You can use a free online converter to turn your .doc into a .docx file. Another option is to use LibreOffice as an alternative to Word or OpenOffice.
What's your response time?
Slower than we'd like it to be. You can query after 28 days.
How do you pay people?
We prefer to send you a check. This makes bookkeeping easier. PayPal is an option for writers outside of the US.
Why don't you use Submittable?
It doesn't provide the features that we need.
Why do you do blind review?
We think it’s fairer than alternatives. The story you send us matters, not your track record of prior publications or awards.
How will you know who I am if you throw out my cover letter?
This is a suprisingly frequent question. Our submission system stores your e-mail address.
How do you read?
Like everybody else: all the words that don't contain the letter 'q'. Each submission is assigned two initial readers. About 4% of stories make it to round two.
What’s your acceptance rate?
Our 2016 was 0.75%. For 2017 it should be around 1%.
Can I submit my story by mail?
No. Paper is pleasant, but our team is spread out across six states.
Why don't you publish erotica?
Stop sending us erotica.
Do you offer personalized rejections or critiques?
Sorry, we can't. Keeping up with our reading load has us running in place.